Home / About Jamaica

About Jamaica

The History of Jamaica’s Parishes

jamaica

In 1665, the British gained control of Jamaica and Sir Thomas Modyford divided its fair isles into seven (7) administrative units called ‘Parishes. These were located in the mid to south-eastern end of the island: Clarendon, St. John’s, St. Andrew’s, St. Katherine’s, Port Royal, St. David’s and St. Thomas in the East. By 1683, eight (8) parishes were added making it a total of fifteen (15): St. Dorothy’s, St. Thomas in the Vale, Vere, St. George’s St. Marie’s, St. Ann’s, St. James and St. Elizabeth’s. A year after the 1692 earthquake, Kingston was created after ...

Read More »